Friday, August 14, 2009

Sick, but productive!

Tuesday morning I woke up feeling awful, but thinking I just had a regular cold that I could sleep off in a day with the help of some nyquil and emergen-c. I was supposed to work AM care at camp, which meant I'd need to be at the J by 7am, so at 6am I called my boss and told her I wasn't going to make it in and I'd try to be better by tomorrow. By Tuesday night I thought I'd for sure be able to go back to work the next day... until Wednesday morning came, and I felt even more awful. So I stayed home again, but by the afternoon I was feeling well enough to go to the Scottsdale Gun Club with my family and shoot some rounds (I hit one target in the head!!), so I must have been getting better, but my throat was still killing me. Thursday morning I went to work, but left after an hour because I was afraid I'd get the kids sick - it's very difficult to interact with 5 and 6 year olds without making any physical contact - there is always someone who wants me to hold his hand or carry her to the next activity - it just doesn't work when you're sick. By Thursday night I was feeling worse than ever, and I finally went to the doctor who told me I have an ear infection and some kind of virus! Ick! I don't think I've had an ear infection since I was four! But now I'm on some medicine and hopefully I'll be back to normal soon.

However, for a sick girl, I've been very productive in these last few days. Taking advantage of all the free time I had at home, I began working on creating a brand for my freelance design. As I mentioned in the last post, I've been trying to come up with a name for my business, and I came up with a bunch of hippo-something ideas and fouroneone(411) creative, which I really liked but thought it sounded too boring to represent my illustrations. So, I talked to my brother about it, and he said I should use one name for my design work and more serious material, and another for my illustrations and more child-oriented work. And thus fouroneone creative was born, and I began working fiendishly on getting the business going, purchasing a domain name (fouroneonecreative.com) and designing a logo and business card. I drove my family crazy asking every ten minutes if they liked this variation and how they felt about that little change, and for the most part I was met with the response that it's my project, my brand, my choice. Some help! But I finally arrived at a font, a color palette, and a design that I'm happy with (I think) and I sent in the order for business cards last night! So, in 6-12 days I will officially be in business, and I can give you my card to prove it! Sometimes being a grown up feels good, even when you're sick!

Let me know what you think of the card! Criticism and compliments are welcome.


1 comment:

  1. Dayna- Love the card and the name! It's so cool that you're starting your own business. Best of luck and I'll call you soon!! ox, Julie

    ReplyDelete