Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Beginning

The time has come for me to finally start my very own blog! I'll be updating as regularly as I can about things I'm working on and plans for my future.

So, let's start the update!

I'm currently working at Shemesh Day Camp again, but only for another week before all of the kiddies return to school. I'm the counselor for 25 soon-to-be first graders, and the last week has been full of lots of chaotic and hilarious moments, including six little boys peeing all over the backyard of the JCC - oops! The kids always keep me laughing but I'm totally exhausted by the end of the week!

I also just got hired (today!) for a part-time job at a children's clothing store called Peek... Aren't You Curious? The store is adorable and they do all of their own design and display work. The store is sorted out into themed sections like the Americana boys section, which is accessorized with cowboy books and firetrucks. So cute!

I'm also interning at a really great design studio called SeeSaw Designs. It's a really small studio set up by two girls who graduated from ASU's design program a few years ago and they specialize in letterpress work. I love their work and I love working with the girls, and it's a pretty unique experience since they allow me to give my input on new projects and brainstorm with them so that I can improve my own design skills.

Finally, I'm working on branding myself - creating a business name, a business card and a website. My top choice for a business name is 'The Artful Hippo' because it plays off The Artful Dodger character from Dickens' Oliver Twist, tying back to my literary roots, and, well, because I really love hippos. The website is on delay until I finalize the business name, but I do have my portfolio up at daynaadler.com. I'm working on the business card design and I'll post some preliminary ideas when I get a chance - suggestions and opinions are VERY welcome! (That goes for the business name, as well).

And now that I've written a small novel, I think I'll conclude my first post with some other exciting news: I qualified for the next round of phx layer tennis! PHX Layers is a design contest where designers volley an image back and forth for six 30-minute rounds (3 turns each) manipulating, adding and subtracting to each image. Check it out at http://www.phxlayers.com to learn more and see my qualifying round vs. Claudia Miranda.

Ok, I think that's enough for my first post! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dayna! Hooray for your blog and all of the other exciting news. Congrats on the new job at Peek.. that place is ADORABLE. I also checked out your PHX layers and it's my favorite :)

    We love having you as an intern!

    ReplyDelete