Monday, September 14, 2009

PHX Layers Round 1



I competed in another round of PHX Layers yesterday and unfortunately, it didn't go quite as planned. For those of you who don't know, PHX Layers is a design contest where designers volley an image back and forth for six 30-minute rounds (3 turns each) manipulating, adding, and subtracting to each image. My qualifying round went pretty well, and I was able to use my skills as an illustrator to my advantage because it was pretty unique in a competition with designers who were mostly layering a lot of outside materials and throwing in filters and effects. However, yesterday my incredible slowness caught up with me, and I felt the major pressure of the 30-minute time limit. In my second round (image 4) I just ran out of time and threw a few things together and I didn't feel particularly proud of the work I put up. I was able to rally back in the final round, but I don't know if it will be enough to carry me into the next round. Check out my head-to-head with Jon Ashcroft at PHX Layers and vote for your favorite!

Below is a small preview of our 3 rounds (mine are on the right side):

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

No comments:

Post a Comment